nessochist

Heaven Is a Playground
Rick Telander
Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis
The Blue Sword - Robin McKinley The Blue Sword was just as amazing as I remembered it. Sure, that is probably a good dose of nostalgia and fondness talking but while it is not perfect, even after all these years I still love, love, love this book. First of all, look at that cover. That person---the one galloping toward you on a war horse, wielding a glowing blue sword? That person is your heroine, Harry. And just like when I first read it so long ago, to this I say “heck yeah!” (I was a late swearing bloomer but never you fear, I made up for lost time.)Harry has always felt out of place, her reactions and expectations not quite matching up with her peers. Circumstances move her to a remote outpost bordering mysterious lands inhabited by mysterious people. And then those mysterious people---specifically the Hill-King with the crazy eyes and rumored magical powers---kidnap her. To her surprise, she is not treated as a prisoner and in fact there is much that intrigues her about her captors and their culture. Here’s what intrigued me: the culture has a word (Damalur-sol) that means Lady Hero. In fact one of the primary legends of her new people is the story of Aerin (featured in The Hero and the Crown) and her dragon slaying badass ways. When Harry hears of Aerin (and her husband King Tor the Just) for the first time she says: “It sounds very dreary, being Just, when your wife kills dragons.” SOLD. I devoured this as a young teen and treasure it still today. Also, just because: : "I am glad to see you--here--and still--still of the Hills?" I DIE.